Diary of a Start Up Part 2: Where To Start? With Diary of a Start Up Part 1: Business Plan and Strategy covered, and your business plan, domain name, business email addresses and an SSL in place, where do you go from here? Diary of a Start Up Part 2: Where to Start? is divided […]
Diary of a Start Up Part 2: Where To Start?
With Diary of a Start Up Part 1: Business Plan and Strategy covered, and your business plan, domain name, business email addresses and an SSL in place, where do you go from here? Diary of a Start Up Part 2: Where to Start? is divided into two parts, and will show you what to focus on next, from choosing the right technology right through to building an actual website.
1. Choosing the Right Technology, Outsourcing & Leasing…
Objective: Choose an e-commerce solution to enable your online store or select a channel such as eBay. Multichannel models can be established where both an online store and eBay operate side by side.
- Have a business plan.
- Have products to sell (see Which Products are Suitable to Sell Online?)
- Setup the legal business.
- Already registered your domain name.
Tasks: (see How to Choose an E-Commerce Solution)
- Make a decision on the web technology.
- Make a decision on the hosting provider (might include technology).
- Determine your channel strategy.
- Try out various solutions before you make a commitment.
- Ask for references.
- Ask for a statement of work and quotation.
- Check out any terms and conditions.
- Signing up to a service before trying it.
- Check that development and maintenance services are available.
2. Building a Retail Website – Choosing the Right Web Company & Managing the Website
- Establish a design, look and feel, and determine any special business processes.
- Choose an ecommerce solution.
Tasks: (see Choosing the Right Technology Partner)
- Find a web developer.
- Draw a wireframe and identify some website designs that suit your business.
- Ask your ecommerce provider for advice or design partners that know the technology.
- Alternatively if you have a design company they can advise on ecommerce solutions as well.
- Having a design developed before choosing a technology platform.
Please don’t hesitate to refresh your memory with our previous posts in our Diary of a Start Up series: