Magento announces HTML5 mobile upgrade
- 27th April
- Grant Arnott 276
Magento is making a bigger play in mobile commerce, announcing a new HTML5 theme with a host of new features.
At the Magento Imagine eCommerce 2012 Conference, currently on in Las Vegas, the eBay-owned open source e-commerce platform provider announced several technology updates. New capabilities, which include the integration of HTML5 for Magento Mobile and PayPal Payments, are implemented on the latest versions of both Magento Community (version 1.7) and Magento Enterprise (version 1.12) software.
“From research to checkout and beyond, merchants can now drive conversions more effectively, increase order size and build customer loyalty,” said Roy Rubin, general manager of Magento and chief product and customer officer of X.commerce.
The release is representative of a continuing push to become more relevant in mobile. New offerings announced by Magento announced include:
- Gesture-based controls
- Multi-touch and image scaling
- The utilisation of device specific audio and video capabilities
- User-friendly search and results display
- Drag and drop of products to the shopping cart
- Easy swiping between product images
- Zooming capabilities
- Clean display of the product detail page
- Cross-sell and up-sell capabilities.
The new HTML5 theme is designed to support iPhone, Android and Mobile Opera browsers.