Global Commerce Giant eBay Reports Strong Results to Round Off 2011
- 19th January
- Campbell Phillips 565
Despite the unforgiving global economy, eBay reports strong returns on every facet of its business in 2011, boosting confidence for the year ahead.
eBay Inc. reported that its revenue for the fourth quarter (ended December 31st 2011), experienced a 35% year-on-year increase to finish at US$3.4 billion.
Revenue for the entire year increased by 27% year-on-year to reach a total of US$11.7 billion, with all areas of the business delivering strong growth for the quarter.
“We had a strong fourth quarter finish to an excellent year, increasing our confidence in our three-year outlook,” says eBay Inc. President and CEO John Donahoe. “Across eBay, GSI and X.commerce, we have a robust portfolio of global commerce platforms and innovative mobile, local and social commerce technology assets. We are well positioned to compete in the emerging new retail environment, and to help retailers of all sizes to grow and engage their customers anytime, anywhere. We are a different eBay today, no longer just an ecommerce leader but a stronger, more diverse global commerce company shaping the future of shopping and payments.”
Other reported statistics for:
- PayPal completed the fourth quarter of 2011 with 106.3 active registered accounts (a 13% increase on 2010).
- PayPal averaged a million new accounts per month in 2011.
- PayPal revenue for the quarter increased 28% year-over-year.
- For the first time, revenue from Paypal’s international accounts overtook US domestic accounts during the fourth quarter, 2011.
- eBay’s Marketplaces revenue was up 16% year-on-year.
- Gross merchandise volume (GMV), excluding vehicles, increased 10% to $US 16.5 billion.
- eBay mobile reached a record $US 5 billion transacted through mobile devices during 2011 due to smartphone and tablet uptake.
WANT 400+ PAGES OF E-COMMERCE GOLD?
Interested in more best practice information? We offer literally hundreds of pages of e-commerce industry insights, case studies and how-tos within our range of specialty publications. Browse our catalog...