With Christmas just around the corner, SLI Systems Holiday E-Retail Index, reveals the global trends around what consumers are searching for coming up to the holiday period.
With the Christmas holidays just around the corner, SLI Systems has released its ‘Holiday E-Retail Index’ which reviews the most popular site search terms and phrases across a range of categories, including apparel, jewelry, consumer electronics, cosmetics and kids toys.
Taken from a sampling of hundreds of global online retail sites, the index lends important insight into some of the most popular items on consumers’ minds this year, based on popular search terms.
Image Source: christmasstockimages.com
“Our proprietary site search data provides unprecedented insight into which items consumers are looking for this season and how they’re conducting their searches. We believe that sharing this data will help retailers better manage their inventories in the lead up to Christmas and ensure they’re providing a compelling shopping experience that more effectively converts browsers to buyers,” said Thierry Costa, Vice President of Marketing for SLI Systems.
The SLI Holiday E-Retail Index global findings for October 2010 revealed:
- Jewelry – trends focused on more traditional items, such as diamond stud earrings, ruby and diamond rings, engagement rings and men’s watches, from top designers such as Rolex.
- Pharmacy and Cosmetics – online shoppers sought chemical-free and skin purifying cosmetics, as well as products such as sulfate-free shampoo and antioxidant moisturisers. Make-up kits, hair extensions and eyelash growth products are also frequently searched. With summer just around the corner, unsurprisingly at a local level FatBlaster fared well among shoppers.
- Kids Toys and Apparel – brand names such as Lego, Barbie, Nerf and Super Soaker rate well locally. Oobi hats, swimming bags and jewellery boxes also rate highly.
- Consumer Electronics – popular searches tend towards laptops, netbooks and all-in-one printers from brands including HP, Panasonic and Toshiba. Locally Apple is flavour of the month, with iPods and iPhones ranking high amongst the top search terms.
- Women’s and Men’s Apparel – men and women are seeking the best in hoodies, cardigan sweaters and winter boots in preparation for the cool weather overseas. In particular, women are actively seeking out Maxi dresses, while men want the hottest looks in leather jackets.
Search terms provide great insight into the consumer psyche and a way in which retailers can ascertain popular upcoming trends for not only optimising online campaigns, but ensuring adequate supply for merchandising on or offline.
“We look forward to watching these trends evolve in the coming months and will continue to look for opportunities to share more insightful data, which might help e-tailers prepare for a fruitful season,” acquiesced Costa.